Friday, November 13, 2009

 

The Importance of Net Energy

Long-time readers will recall that I have stressed the importance of net energy (EROEI) many times. Further, I have made no secret of my conviction that renewables cannot maintain industrial civilization. Therefore we will have to considerably lower our expectations and go back to the age-old practice of frugal, small-scale living. As if to echo and reinforce this message, the Post Carbon Institute has just released a report called “Searching for a Miracle: ‘Net Energy’ Limits & the Fate of Industrial Society.” The overview says just what I have been saying: That renewables have low net energy, and that all energy systems are highly dependent on fossil fuels for inputs. But don’t take my word for it. Read the linked page, and if you are so inclined, download the PDF of the entire report.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?