Sunday, February 14, 2010

 

Hand Notes: Big Deal

Lots of people are making fun of Sarah Palin’s hand notes. Personally, I don’t like Palin’s politics, and I don’t think she’s smart enough to run a country (which of course has not stopped others). But that’s neither here nor there. The issue here is: I don’t understand why using notes, written on hands or any other medium, is bad.

As I recall, most of my college professors lectured from sheaves of notes. Last year I delivered lectures to several citizen groups about peak oil, and I used an outline that covered two and one-half letter-size sheets of paper. And since I’m not particularly good at remembering figures, I wrote all those down, too. It simply makes good sense to write down the points you want to cover, and also keep your facts straight. So, I would encourage Palin to use more notes.

One more thing: Palin’s critics only harm themselves with such ill-conceived and below-the-belt criticism, which is akin to ad hominem or shoot-the-messenger attacks. That the White House itself has stooped to such cheap mockery is indicative of the administration’s good-idea bankruptcy, which is why the mess Dubya left is now much worse.

I now return you to our regularly scheduled war.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?